Thursday, March 13, 2008

Wikis for group projects

Firstly, I didn't know what a wiki was so I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it's like a community notice board where everyone adds what they know on a subject. I've used Wikipedia before but to me it was just like a 'yahoo' or any other similar large site run by very experienced computer gurus. After taking a look around at more modest wikis I can see how a wiki can be used for almost anything.

At work at the moment we are about to implement a 'Council Information System'. Before this is implemented however, all staff need to know what's going on and how it will affect their work etc. To date, the communication between staff and the team involved with the processes of the new system have been really sparse, to not a all. I can see a wiki being very useful for projects like this. Information added daily under different headings so the staff can keep up to date with what's going on. Something like an Intranet.

No comments: